Helping the carer too
When the person you look after is in hospital, it’s important that you as the carer also feel supported.
Action for Carers Surrey supports Surrey’s carers of all ages.
We have staff in the main Surrey hospitals, including the Royal Surrey to help you whether your loved one is staying in hospital, or coming in for appointments. Find out more about our Hospital Carer Advisors here.
Our Carer Advisor at the Royal Surrey Hospital is Naheeda Majid.
Naheeda supports carers at the Royal Surrey Hospital in a number of ways, she:
- works closely with hospital staff to identify carers and will also approach carers directly
- can help bridge any communication gaps between you as the carer, and the hospital
- can provide you with advice and information, as well as emotional support
- can speak on your behalf, including at some meetings
- can signpost you, and your loved one, to further support from other organisations
And after discharge, Naheeda can arrange further support from Action for Carers, for when you’re back home.
For example, support from one of our Advisors working in the community, or our Moving and Handling team if you need to give more physical help to the person you care for, following their hospital stay.
All about Naheeda
Naheeda is a carer herself and is passionate about supporting and empowering carers to get the support they need and deserve. She cares for her daughters who both have a physical disability and her eldest also has ASD and learning difficulties. Her mother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and so she knows first-hand the challenges carers can face.
How to get support
Please email Naheeda [email protected], and she’ll get back to you as soon as possible, or call 07850 515457. Her usual working days are Monday-Friday.
Alternatively, get in touch with our Carer Helpline. It’s open 9am-5pm, Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and open 9am-6pm on Tuesday and Wednesdays.
- Call us on 0303 040 1234
- Text us on (SMS) 07723 486730
- Email us:[email protected]
More information about the support for carers at the Royal Surrey
Find out more about the Royal Surrey’s support for carers on the hospital’s website here.
The Royal Surrey’s Carer Passport for family members
The hospital has a system to allow carers to support their relative and Naheeda can help you with this. The Royal Surrey says:
‘If you are staying with a relative to provide carer support whilst they are in hospital we can arrange for you to have a carer passport for family members. This will give you additional permission to care for your relative and enable you to access a variety of concessions. Please see the ward manager if you would like further information about this initiative or request a carer passport for family members.’
But if you’re concerned you need something to show that the person you’re looking after needs you with them, we can let you have a letter ‘Someone Depends on Me’ confirming your role as a carer. It’s easy (and free) to register with us here – and we can help you in other ways too.
Where to take a break at the Royal Surrey
- Costa Coffee Main entrance: coffee, cold drink and food
- Marks & Spencer Main entrance: hot and cold drinks, snacks, salads, sandwiches, etc. plus a selection of convenience food and bakery items, newspapers and useful items.
- There are also vending machines at various locations throughout the hospital.
Find all the details on the hospital’s website here.
Find out more about getting around the hospital, maps, visiting and useful services on the hospital’s website here.