How – and why – employers can help
As well as being a good employer, there are clear business benefits to supporting workers with caring responsibilities. A flexible approach can:
- Increase resilience and productivity
- Reduce recruitment and training costs
- Reduce sick leave
- Attract and keep staff
- Reduce staff stress and increase staff morale
There are many things employers can consider
- Flexible working practices
- Enhanced or paid emergency leave
- Additional leave arrangements, such as carers leave or compassionate leave
- Additional flexible benefits, such as insurance or care vouchers
- Support and understanding from employers – a workplace culture that values and supports carers can make a huge difference
According a 2019 Carers UK report, the top three things that would most help working carers were:
- A supportive employer/line manager
- Flexible working
- Additional paid care leave
About Employers for Carers
Employers for Carers is Carers UK’s membership forum for employers who want to support the people in their workforce who are carers. Its purpose is to:
- provide practical advice and support for employers seeking to develop carer friendly policy and practice and retain skilled workers
- identify and promote the business benefits of supporting carers in the workplace
- influence employment policy and practice to create a culture which supports carers in and into work.
Member organisations of Employers for Carers and their employees get free access to guides and resources specifically designed to help make working and caring easier.
To find out more about Employers for Carers, visit employersforcarers.org; email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7378 4956.