Surrey Young Carers
If you are a young person, and you help care for someone who has an illness, a disability, or is affected by mental ill-health or alcohol/substance misuse, we can help you. We support children from Year 1 upwards.
We can provide support and opportunities to meet – and have fun with – other children and young people in similar positions. And we really understand how these extra responsibilities can affect your daily life, schoolwork and time for friends.
We support young carers all across Surrey and from every type of family. You might be looking after a brother or sister with autism, or a parent with a disability.
We provide a range of support depending on your situation, from activities to provide time out from your caring role and meet children in a similar position, to more intensive groups and tailored one-to-one help, for young carers in a more difficult situation.
The level of support offered depends on your personal caring situation – some young people help out a little each week, others do a huge amount and can be in a very difficult situation. So our support does vary. However, all young carers registered with SYC:
- will receive our regular newsletters
- are invited to a ‘family fun day’ every year
- can attend our ‘drop ins’ (youth clubs) that take place at venues across Surrey – like youth clubs, with activities like pool or crafts, but a chance to meet other young carers and simply enjoy some relaxed ‘time out’
- can join our Young Carers Forum, to share views and help make positive changes to benefit all young carers
- can receive transition support to smooth the move from primary to secondary school
- and get support from our friendly, caring and helpful staff.
If at any point you’re experiencing particular difficulties, or are struggling in any way, you get in touch and let us know. We also ask you to get in touch if your situation changes.
How to refer
If you’re a young carer, your parent, your teacher, or someone else who may support your family (eg your family doctor or a social worker) can refer you to the Surrey Young Carers service (part of Action for Carers Surrey) and apply for our support. We will then assess your situation, to see if we can provide suitable help.
Get in touch
If you’d like to get in touch with us to find out more about the service and how it can help. Please call us on 01483 568 269, or email [email protected]