Helping the carer too
When the person you look after is in hospital, it’s important that you as the carer also feel supported.
Action for Carers Surrey supports Surrey’s carers of all ages. We have staff in the main Surrey hospitals, including Epsom to help you whether your loved one is staying in hospital, or coming in for appointments. Find out more about our Hospital Carer Advisors here.
The Hospital Carer Advisor at Epsom Hospital is Michele Moore.
Michele supports carers at Epsom Hospital in a number of ways, she:
- works within the Epsom Health and Care ‘@Home Team’ who bring hospital services to the person’s own home to keep them out of hospital, so she’s connected with a wide range of staff and services
- works closely with hospital staff to identify carers and will also approach carers directly
- can help bridge any communication gaps between you as the carer, and the hospital
- can provide you with advice and information, as well as emotional support
- can speak on your behalf, including at some meetings
- can signpost you, and your loved one, to further support from other organisations
And after discharge, Michele can arrange further support from Action for Carers, for when you’re back home. For example, support from one of our Advisors working in the community, or our Moving and Handling team if you need to give more physical help to the person you care for, following their hospital stay.
All about Michele
Michele has been a carer herself and understands many of your challenges and worries. She has cared for her mother following cancer, and for her mother’s twin. She is married with three children, one of whom has Type 1 diabetes.
How to get support
Please email Michele [email protected], and she’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You can reach Michele by phone on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on 07736 561978.
Alternatively, get in touch with our Carer Helpline. It’s open 9am-5pm, Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and open 9am-6pm on Tuesday and Wednesdays.
- Call us on 0303 040 1234
- Text us on (SMS) 07714 075993
- Email us
More information about the support for carers at Epsom Hospital
Epsom’s ‘carer’s passport’ system is currently under review, but talk to the ward staff – or of course, to Michele – about how you can support your relative in hospital. But if you’re concerned you need something to show that the person you’re looking after needs you with them, we can let you have a letter ‘Someone Depends on Me’ confirming your role as a carer. It’s easy (and free) to register with us here – and we can help you in other ways too.
Epsom Hospital is part of the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Many services are provided in both hospitals but each also has specialised departments, such as renal medicine at St Helier and orthopaedic medicine at Epsom, and patients are sometimes transferred between the two. If you are a carer living in Surrey (within Surrey County Council’s area), Michele can help you, even if you are at St Helier rather than Epsom. Carers living in the borough of Sutton can get help from Sutton Carers Centre.
Find out more about Epsom Hospital’s support for carers on the hospital’s website here.
Where to take a break at Epsom Hospital
- The Ingredients Restaurant is on the second floor of the Wells Wing, and serves a full range of food, snacks and drinks. Open: 7am-2pm, Monday to Friday.
- Costa Coffee, next to the restaurant, serves drinks, cakes and sandwiches. Open: 7.30am-8pm, Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm, Saturday and Sunday.
- Marks & Spencer is on the ground floor of main building block A to the left. Sells hot and cold drinks, snacks, salads, sandwiches, etc. plus a selection of convenience food and bakery items, and a selection of useful items.
- W.H. Smith is on the ground floor of main building side entrance. Sells hot and cold drinks, snacks, confectionery, newspapers, magazines, cards and useful items.
- There are also vending machines outside Costa Coffee and Langley Wing ground floor by the main entrance.
Visiting is limited and the details vary on different wards. Find all the details on the hospital’s website here.
Find out more about getting around the hospital, maps and useful services on the hospital’s website here. Please also check the opening times of the facilities we’ve listed above.