March 26th, 2014
The Carers Prescription – Definition of Service
There is a range of services available to Carers in Surrey as an alternative (or in addition) to the GP Carer Breaks Payments. The support can be provided to the Carer directly, or to the person being cared for, to help the Carer have a better balance between their caring role and their life away from caring:
1. Carers Information Pack: Joint NHS and SCC Information for Carers
2. Carers Emergency Card: Surrey County Council can register details of contingency plans in case of emergency for a Carer.
3 Carers Assessment is a referral to Surrey County Council to see if a Carer is entitled to any support, wherther or not the person they care for has had a needs assessment, or if Surrey County Council have decided that the cared-for person is not eligible for support. Go to www.surreycc.gov.uk/adultsocialcare for further information
4. A GP Carers Break: A direct payment that may be available if a GP makes a clinical decision that the Carer's health or well-being may benefit from it.
5. Carers Support (Action for Carers) provides independent information, advice and advocacy for Carers over 18 years irrespective of whom they are caring for. Other help includes options around juggling caring with work and learning, emotional support, training and groups.
6. Free on line resources: An e-learning course that aims to help Carers find resources, technologies and support. There is also the Jointly app which enables Carers to store important information about the person they are looking after and share it with other family members who are involved in caring.
7. Crossroads Care Surrey provide a flexible home based care service for Carers looking after family or friends , helping to avoid admission to hospital or residential care of the person being cared for.
8. Crossroads End of Life Carers Support Service offers a free unlimited service for those caring for a loved one with a life limiting illness during the last year of their life. A palliative care trained Carer Support Worker will take over the caring role to give the unpaid Carer regular breaks.
9. Dementia Support is provided by Dementia Navigators who offer information, guidance and signposting to assist people affected by dementia to live well. They will ensure they fully understand the unique needs and circumstances of the carer and cared-for person so they can tailor the support given. They may signpost to ther Alzheimer's Society services including support groups, activity clubs and Day Centres, as well as support people to access social care or external services
10. Surrey Young Carers (Action for Carers) supports those Carers who are under 18. Advocates on behalf of young carers and their families, runs groups, activities and outings, and works with schools and colleges.
11. Military Young Carers
12. Giving Carers A Voice (Action for Carers) lobbies and campaigns locally and nationally to raise awareness of Carers’ issues and to give Carers a voice, running regular Carers forums to exchange information and views with Carers.
13. Mencap Leisure Services provides short breaks for parent carers caring for someone with a learning disability living in Surrey.
14. Moving and Handling Services provide specialist advisers to give tailored information, advice and training to Carers in their own homes on all aspects of moving and handling the person they care for.