About the Role
Young adult carers are young people aged 18–24 who care, unpaid, for a family member or friend with an illness or disability, mental health condition or an addiction. In addition to the caring role, they are managing the transition into adulthood, entering the workforce and pursuing higher education.
We are looking for a part-time Support Coordinator to support Young Adult Carers with their transitions to adulthood by providing advocacy, information, time out, and advice.
in this rewarding role, you will support young adult carers in South West Surrey covering the Guildford and Waverley areas.
- To manage a Young Adult Carer (YAC) caseload, advocating and supporting 18-24 year olds
- Provide information, advice and guidance to a network of YACs via social media and our newsletter
- Plan and deliver area based information, socials and transition events for 18 to 24 year olds to provide time out, raise aspirations and inform Young Adult Carers of opportunities and also their rights
- Ensure effective transitions between Surrey Young Carers (SYC) and Young Adult Carers by attending 16-18 events and by working alongside SYC Coordinator colleagues.
- Work closely with our adult carers support service to promote awareness and identification of young adult carers with statutory services such as social services, health and the voluntary sector.
You must have:
- Experience of working with young people/young adults and families. e.g. in social work /health /education /youth service /voluntary sector settings
- Awareness of issues surrounding Young Adult Carers
- Have a flexible approach to working hours, as some weekend and evening work is occasionally required.
- The ability to form good working relationships with young people and their families.
- The ability to predominantly work from home and within the communities of Guildford and Waverley.
You must also have a current driving licence and use of car. You will work from home and in the community and attend regular team meetings, which are currently held over zoom but may move to face-to-face meetings at our offices in Burpham.
Action for Carers Surrey is is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Background checks and an enhanced DBS will be required.Download job description Download job application