Action for Carers Surrey
Enabling carers to have a voice and realise a life outside caring

Carer’s Assessment for Parent Carers

Black_woman_and_son.jpgParent carers have a right to a separate Carers Needs assessment, as for the carers of adults. In practice, however, your own needs for a break may be considered in conjunction with your child's assessment by Surrey County Council Children’s services, if eligible, under the Children Act.

It's important to ensure your needs in relation to employment, training, education, leisure, maintaining relationships, social/ family life are discussed with you and taken into account when planning any package of care for your child, so please draw this to the attention of your social worker. If you are entitled to social care support, any package of care provided by the local authority should include a break if you have indicated this is something you need.

For further information on your entitlements, please click here

If you would like help and advice in talking to your local children's social care team, you can ask your local carers support scheme