Action for Carers Surrey
Enabling carers to have a voice and realise a life outside caring

What else can I do?

Seniors_in_library_-_small_for_web.jpgYou may have been out of work for a while and are unsure of how to get back into employment. Or you might be thinking about brushing up on your skills or learning something new.

If you are struggling to come to a decision, feel anxious about returning to learning, or just want some guidance, we can help.

Alternatively look at the National Careers Service website and speak to one of their advisers.  The number to call is 0800 100 900. Lines are open 8am – 10pm seven days a week.

If you are considering returning to work or starting some training and the person you care for still requires care, it is important to have an up-to-date Carer’s Needs Assessment, even if you have had one previously. The law says that the assessment should also look specifically at your needs with regard to work, training and leisure activities. Sometimes it is possible, as a result of registering your needs in this way, to obtain funding in the form of a Carers Direct Payment to enable you to pursue a training course or other learning opportunities. To arrange an assessment, call Surrey County Council Contact Centre on 0300 200 1005 or speak to your local Carer Support Worker who can arrange it for you. It may help you prepare to look first at the relevant legislation at