Action for Carers Surrey
Enabling carers to have a voice and realise a life outside caring

Short breaks

Man_with_older_woman_in_wheelchair-acs.jpgMost carers need a break from caring from time to time. This may be for a few hours, or a day or a week or two.  Your are entitled to a Carers Needs Assessment in your own right as a carer (regardless of whether the person you care for has had an assessment).   
Support may be offered directly to you by signposting to other services or by way of a Carer Direct Payment.

Breaks for you may also form part of any care package drawn up for the person with care needs and in this case would be included in the financial assessment undertaken at that time.

In either case, a number of voluntary organisations provide services as well as a whole range of private providers. There are many kinds of short break. You may have someone coming into your home from a Care Agency to take over the caring while you go out, rest or catch up with a hobby. Or the person you look after may go to a Day Centre or be taken out. 

If you are going away for longer, you and the person you care for may wish to look at Nursing or Residential homes. It may be the case that they wish to stay in their own home with or without support while you are away. Another option is an assisted holiday which provides help with the physical care while you and the person you care for are on holiday.

For more information, phone the Surrey County Council Adult Social Care helpline on 0300 200 1005 to ask for information on short break providers.  Or see the providers list on the Care Choices website

Crossroads Care Surrey is a charity specialising in offering carers replacement care from trained staff, in order to give you a break, including support if you are looking after someone at the end of their life. To arrange an assessment please contact them on: 01372 869970 or email