Action for Carers Surrey
Enabling carers to have a voice and realise a life outside caring

Carers Right to request flexible working

The Work and families Act 2006 gives carers the right to request flexible working and employers have a duty to consider such requests. This right applies to parents of disabled children and carers of adults who have worked for their employer for a minimum of 26 weeks.

The cared-for adult must be one of the following:

  • Your spouse, partner or civil partner
  • A near relative
  • Living at the same address as you

The 'near relative' definition includes parents, parents-in-law, adult child, adopted adult child, siblings (including those who are in-laws), uncles, aunts, grandparents or step-relatives.